Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Simplifying the Skeltons! End Of Month One

Posted by Grant

  Happy belated Easter! Sorry we've been a little lax in posting of late. We've had a lot on our plate recently (no pun intended). We officially concluded month one on March 31. Personally I thought the food fast would be difficult at first and then progressively get easier. But it turns out to have worked the other way around for me. The first week wasn't that difficult, but by week four I thought if I even saw a tortilla I would vomit. I have gained an appreciation for avocados, a vegetable I've always been leery of. I also discovered that I don't need 3 or 4 cups of coffee every morning before work. Since our only option for a "sweetener" was honey, Michelle and I can drink "unsweet" tea with no problem, quite a task considering sweet tea was (and still is) a staple in my own family. You'd be surprised how much better your mind will feel when it isn't filled to satiety with processed sugar. Needless to say, after we came off the fast, yours truly did enjoy another Ghost River Black Magic (www.ghostriverbrewing.com). My dearest wife was able to satisfy her longing for a Chic-Fil-A Chicken Biscuit, which is always exceptionally delicious (I mean come on. It is Christian chicken after all. I know the Bible says Jesus fed people with bread and fish...but it was really Chic-Fil-A.)
   We have seen the advantage of asking and seeking (don't you love all the Biblical puns in this post?) where our food really comes from and what's in it. If you're going to eat out, eat local. The food really is better! I didn't believe this before I tried it. When it came to food, I was a dedicated low-price only food shopper. I told myself I couldn't afford to buy local food because it was too expensive. Undoubtedly I have paid with my health to some degree, and if a change was not made I would have paid later as well. I suppose it just comes down to deciding if you want the cost to be from your wallet or your health.
    Michelle and I have loved and hated this month. We thank all of the folks that read this blog and encourage us. We hope you will continue to follow along with us. Stay tuned for an intro into Month Two, in which we'll be fasting from the excess of all of our stuff. You know...that drawer or closet full of clothes you never wear and those DVDs you never watch? Yeah that stuff. And then what about the stuff you do love? Your favorite shoes, or the movies you do love, or your iPod? Yes indeed. Next month will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment