Saturday, March 10, 2012

Simplifying the Skeltons! Month One/Day Seven

Posted by Michelle

  Here we are, still kicking, as week one of our fast is almost in the bag! Grant has been bugging me all week to write another blogpost and I am finally getting a chance to sit down and do it. This week has been a ride! I feel much better today than I thought I would a week ago. Since today is just a Saturday at home in my pj's... nothing too exciting to report... I'll give a recap of the most memorable parts of our first week.
  The hardest but most incredible day was definitely Monday! First, I woke up with a KILLER headache! Grant and I had a busy day ahead. So, we got up and ate a big breakfast of eggs, turkey bacon, oatmeal, and a banana. (No coffee...) We are learning that if we have a big breakfast, we have a much easier time following the fast later on in the day. I think it revs up our metabolisms. After errands that morning, we decided to go to lunch a do a little shopping. Now, trying to eat out on a simplicity fast can be VERY tricky! We decided to head to Trolley Stop Market because it is well known for its locally grown/raised organic food. We figured if any place could feed us, they could! We both chose the turkey burger (discarding the bun) and a cup of lentil soup. Great idea, right? I thought so too... By the time I got my food, my head was pounding and I was craving anything and everything! I opened up my bun, started to dig into my burger, and was NOT pleased! We normally love Trolley Stop, but I found out quickly that I do not like their turkey burger! And the soup was not at all what I expected. I will be honest... I started to panic. My head was pounding, my stomach was growling, and the only thing that looked appetizing on my plate was the pickle... which is NOT ON MY LIST!! All I wanted was some coffee, and Chick-Fil-A, and chocolate, and that damn pickle!!! Then my sweet husband humbled me with his generosity and his unending, selfless desire to make me happy. He said, "Let me order you a turkey wrap." He went to the counter and got me turkey, spinach, and avocado all wrapped up in a lovely spinach tortilla! We got it to go and as soon as I hit the car, I devoured the most delicious turkey wrap on the planet. I told Grant how much I love him all the way to Whole Foods, where we got lots of fun, organic, overpriced goodies!
  That night, we were invited to have dinner with some dear friends, Stephanie and Matthew. I was even more humbled (beyond belief) when we walked into their home and Stephanie had made a delicious dinner with just the foods on our list! We ate oat-encrusted, Jamaican jerk turkey breast, green beans, carrots, and fresh sliced pineapple. After eating, talking, and laughing together, Steph and Matt asked if they could pray over us for our fast. We sat as our friends laid hands on us and prayed specifically for our strength and endurance, as well as, all the people and situations Grant and I are praying for during the next seven months. We left humbled and completely blown away by the precious friends God has given us and their incredible support.
  This week was a roller coaster! The first 3 days were definitely the hardest, especially for me. I went from desperately praying through tough cravings, to happily taking on the challenge of creating yummy dishes from our 12 foods. I can honestly say, sticking to the list is much easier today than is was a week ago... but ask me that again in a couple of weeks when I never want to see another tortilla or carrot ever again!!!

*BTW: Please do not let my panicked experience with Trolley Stop's turkey burger dissuade you from eating there!! It's an awesome place! Definitely one of our faves! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment