Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Walled In

Therefore I will block her path with thornbushes;
I will wall her in so that she cannot find her way.
She will chase after her lovers but not catch them;
she will look for them but not find them.
Then she will say,
"I will go back to my husband as at first,
for then I was better off than now."
-Hosea 2:6-7

 I feel like God wants us to get straight to the point this week. So answer this... "What are your lovers?" What do you run to and chase after? What do you turn to, time and time again? What are YOUR lovers? We all have them. I know I do. Oh, how amazing it is that we serve such a patient and forgiving God! Not only does He take us back every single time we prostitute ourselves to these lovers, but He takes action to lure us back to him. He is such a jealous God! And rightfully so! I am so unbelievably glad that He only lets me run so far before he blocks my path and herds me back!  Just meditate on that fact. We are loved so intensely and known so well, that before we run to our lovers, He goes out ahead of us and puts up obstacles so we can't get too far away. He is after our hearts! And He is willing to fight anyone or anything to get to them! You, my friend, are deeply loved! And you are known - truly known! He knows which lovers tempt us the most. And He knows exactly which "thornbushes" to put in our path.
 Maybe I'm weird, but I love the idea of God "walling us in." He knows me so well; He knows that my real desire is only satisfied in Him. So, He walls me in, not allowing me to hurt myself by chasing after these lovers I'll never catch. When all I hit are walls, I turn around, and there He is... just me and Him. I run right into His arms! Then, I wonder why I even thought of running in the first place! And I am so thankful He didn't let me get too far!

Then she will say, "I will go back to my husband as at first, for then I was better off than now."

Praise you God for being so crazy jealous for us! Thank you that true satisfaction is found in you alone. Thank you for loving us so deeply and knowing us so fully! And thank you that you are the kind of husband who fights for His bride! We worship you alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment